Kansas investing 300M in facilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas investing 300M in facilities

Kansas announced that it would do a 300M stadium upgrade and indoor facility yesterday. All indications are that they are preparing a move to the Big 10 if/when the invite comes. I would expect Oklahoma and Kansas to move on from the Big 12 when the TV deal is over. Might even see Texas go that route.

This is probably the beginnings of the implosion of the Big 12 that we were worried about when they were doing the expansion song and dance. Also probably means that there will be some schools available to the AAC and MWC around that time. We may not get out of the AAC but the strength of the conference could improve or even allow the conference to replace some teams with those stronger programs.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Do you have a link from the source?

Comment

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...157511239.html

There's many other articles out there. Renderings are supposed to be available in about 3 weeks. Apparently they've been considering this for a decade or so.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Kansas announced that it would do a 300M stadium upgrade and indoor facility yesterday. All indications are that they are preparing a move to the Big 10 if/when the invite comes. I would expect Oklahoma and Kansas to move on from the Big 12 when the TV deal is over. Might even see Texas go that route.

This is probably the beginnings of the implosion of the Big 12 that we were worried about when they were doing the expansion song and dance. Also probably means that there will be some schools available to the AAC and MWC around that time. We may not get out of the AAC but the strength of the conference could improve or even allow the conference to replace some teams with those stronger programs.
        Yea looks like the beginning of the end for the Big 12. I've said before that Kansas, OU and Okie State will end up in either the Big 10 or SEC.
        Texas is the one that's hard to peg. Texas thinks they could be independent like ND but I think the days of surviving as an independent are over. They may well end up in the PAC12
        Last edited by blackattack; 06-24-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I agree. During the dance I told friends I'd never turn the money down, but the Big 12's situation (my very least favorite option) smelled too much like what happened to the Big East and we'd join just in time to spend a few years in the promised land only to be scrambling again at the implosion.

Maybe the AAC is the answer and will prove out with time, unless one thinks the 64 team super conferences is the actual endgame.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Yea looks like the beginning of the end for the Big 12. I've said before that Kansas, OU and Okie State will end up in either the Big 10 or SEC.
            Texas is the one that's hard to peg. Texas thinks they could be independent like ND but I think the days of surviving as an independent are over. They may well end up in the PAC12
            ND is barely surviving as a quasi-independent with so many games tied to the ACC. I think ND is also a candidate to replace an AAC team in bowl games too, unless they get to the Playoff. I don't think that the Power4 would allow Texas to get that type of Bowl affiliation without fully joining one of the conferences, nor would they want a possibility that ND and Texas could get into the Playoff at the same time. There's no doubt that Texas is a big fish and would be a star addition to any of the Power4 conferences. However, they aren't The Big Fish nor is ND any longer.

Best wishes to Kansas as they set up a move that could block Texas. I don't see any of the Power4 expanding beyond 16 teams. When the BEast had 18 teams in basketball and other Olympic sports, it was a scheduling nightmare.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Here's my prediction on Texas. Texas will go independent for at least 6 years between the end of the Big 12 rights and the end of the LHN contract unless they come to a termination agreement on LHN with ESPN at that time. I also predict they will fail at being an independent mostly because of their own hubris.

They're are the biggest athletic budget on the block and think they should get their way every time. I like to make fun of Texas politics a lot but one thing is a constant in both in the state level politics and the collegiate landscape down here. Texas thinks it's the center of the universe and will do anything to stay that way.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ence-shuffling Realignment to come in 2023?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X