Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 12 in 2016

Time time to reboot this for the new year. There is a NCAA vote coming on Jan. 15 re: the ability of the the Big 12 to hold a championship game with 10 teams. That measure is expected to fail due to opposition from the Pac 12 and B1G. The failure of this vote could cause several scenarios:

1) The Big 12 would be forced to expand. Current rumor mill seems to be focused on BYU and UC despite the Big 12 public stance that BYU is not on the radar. One thing I'm reading which may or may not be credible is that we are the preferred team in an expansion but that we do not have the necessary votes inside the Big 12 to get us in at this point.

2) The Big 12 does nothing and the ACC gobbles up teams from the American + WVU to go to 16 teams and 4 divisions.

3) The Big 12 eventually folds resulting in an all out raid which would would probably see OU and Kansas going to the B1G, Texas going independent and everyone else picking up the pieces.

In related news The Longhorn Network supposedly posted a $50M loss this year. I'm betting ESPN isn't too happy with Texas at the moment.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Time time to reboot this for the new year. There is a NCAA vote coming on Jan. 15 re: the ability of the the Big 12 to hold a championship game with 10 teams. That measure is expected to fail due to opposition from the Pac 12 and B1G. The failure of this vote could cause several scenarios:

1) The Big 12 would be forced to expand. Current rumor mill seems to be focused on BYU and UC despite the Big 12 public stance that BYU is not on the radar. One thing I'm reading which may or may not be credible is that we are the preferred team in an expansion but that we do not have the necessary votes inside the Big 12 to get us in at this point.

2) The Big 12 does nothing and the ACC gobbles up teams from the American + WVU to go to 16 teams and 4 divisions.

3) The Big 12 eventually folds resulting in an all out raid which would would probably see OU and Kansas going to the B1G, Texas going independent and everyone else picking up the pieces.

In related news The Longhorn Network supposedly posted a $50M loss this year. I'm betting ESPN isn't too happy with Texas at the moment.
    How does the ACC going to 16 teams help us if they also gobble up WVU? They are already at 14 that means one from the AAC. Are you assuming that is us?

Comment

I would assume that it is us. We have been vetted previously by the ACC to my knowledge. It just hasn't gotten as much press and attention as the Big 12 proceedings.

Another possibility here is UConn and Syracuse and BC don't want them. Miami doesn't want UCF or USF. I frankly don't remember from the ACC grant of rights dealings whether teams in the ACC have right of in state refusal like they do in the SEC. That was the major reason why Clemson and FSU didn't shift leagues during the last round. Florida and SC vetoed them. The same would happen if Texas tried to get into the SEC. A&M would shoot it down. All sports politics are local?
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This popped up Yesterday and Ken Broo is on WLW teasing the crap out of something right now.

http://www.centralctcommunications.c...672a90bdc.html
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

In my opinion Cincinnati is in the Big XII, and UCONN, Memphis, and Houston are fighting for the last spot. The Big XII is a lot like the BIG EAST with it's slow reacting, and small time thinking. The Big XII needed to yesterday add Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, and UCONN. Why Temple? Huge Philly market, and will get the schools playing in the important Northeast corridor.

Comment

I wish something would happen soon.
            Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 01-03-2016, 01:46 AM.

Comment

This popped up Yesterday and Ken Broo is on WLW teasing the crap out of something right now.

http://www.centralctcommunications.c...672a90bdc.html
              I heard Broo teasing today also. Once he got to the story it wasn't anything that we didn't already know. With the internet and the 24 hour news-sports cycle I don't think sports talk shows like his break any news that the internet or twitter hasn't gotten to first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

I heard Broo teasing today also. Once he got to the story it wasn't anything that we didn't already know. With the internet and the 24 hour news-sports cycle I don't think sports talk shows like his break any news that the internet or twitter hasn't gotten to first.
                Totally agree. Based on what people were saying, I'm pretty sure Broo read a message board or two and that's about it. Might have actually confirmed some of it using his own sources but yeah, this wasn't news to anyone on here or elsewhere.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Lots of twitter chatter today about deregulation, and Cincinnati and Connecticut to the Big XII once the vote makes a championship game with 12 teams or more. Will be interesting to see how this all goes down.

Comment

One guy who is typically spot on says that we WILL be invited but that it hasn't happened quite yet. I think what it comes down to is that the vote is going to fail and we're going to get a phone call shortly thereafter.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on being competitive in the Big XII?? After this years disaster I am having nightmares of being embarrassed on a weekly basis by Baylor, TCU, et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
                        Anyone have thoughts on being competitive in the Big XII?? After this years disaster I am having nightmares of being embarrassed on a weekly basis by Baylor, TCU, et al.
                        That will happen at least the first season or two until recruiting comes up to level needed to compete. TCU was 4-8 their first season in the Big 12. The program is probably going to trend seemingly downward for a couple of years before it bounces back. This will be the proverbial marathon not a sprint thing IMO.

Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

That will happen at least the first season or two until recruiting comes up to level needed to compete. TCU was 4-8 their first season in the Big 12. The program is probably going to trend seemingly downward for a couple of years before it bounces back. This will be the proverbial marathon not a sprint thing IMO.
                          Agree. IF we get in, we're going to have to be patient getting up to speed.
                          Brent, does the vote within the Big12 have to be unanimous in order to accept new members? If so, I'm still worried that UT holds sway and could veto expansion by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post
                            In my opinion Cincinnati is in the Big XII, and UCONN, Memphis, and Houston are fighting for the last spot. The Big XII is a lot like the BIG EAST with it's slow reacting, and small time thinking. The Big XII needed to yesterday add Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, and UCONN. Why Temple? Huge Philly market, and will get the schools playing in the important Northeast corridor.
                            So if we do get into the Big XII an Eastern Division with the four new teams plus WVU, Iowa State and Baylor makes a lot of sense for us. Not sure how it would be viewed by the other conference members.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

Is this the same Ken Broo who reported after the Temple game that Evans took four shots and made them both?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X