BIg 12 close to title game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIg 12 close to title game

It appears that the Big 12 challenge to the title game rule by the NCAA might get through after all.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 13m13 minutes ago Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said title game deregulation has cleared several NCAA steps, expects approval at NCAA convention in January.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

There is a lot of debate if the Big12 would even host one. The match up will always be between two teams that have already played each other and what if the one who lost the first time wins in the championship... they would almost always be eliminated from a playoff spot in that scenario.. A conference championship game with only 10 teams is considered a bad idea by many experts... this ruling is going to affect the ACC more than the Big12 as this will allow them to pick any 2 teams from their conference for the championship.. even if it is 2 teams from the same division if they are trully the best 2 teams in the conference.. which again, I feel is odd because then you put your self back in the same scenario I mentioned above.

Comment

After I posted this, Carlton followed up up that tweet with this one :

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 17h17 hours ago Worth noting that NCAA deregulation would give Big 12 the option to hold a FB title game. Still not certain if conference would pursue it.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

QUOTE=98bearcat;n347723]...The match up will always be between two teams that have already played each other and what if the one who lost the first time wins in the championship... they would almost always be eliminated from a playoff spot in that scenario...[/QUOTE]

Conference Championship games are not guaranteed to be first time match-ups. It's likely that two teams from different divisions are the champions simply because one hasn't "knocked the other out". Even if teams are playing a rematch game, the winner of the conference championship will be the one considered. While it is possible a 9-3 team beats an 11-1 team, resulting in the conference getting shutout of the playoff, I think folks are okay with that. If they truly keep only the best four playoff format, then I want all four of those teams to have a minimum of 12 wins (counting the conference championship game win). This will give 1 loss teams a shot at redemption. In any given year, it's unlikely to have more than four undefeated teams so this is the chance a 1 loss team will have to take to avenge a regular season loss.

One P5 conference will be left out every year and I like it because nobody gets to back into the playoff. Each of those four teams will have earned it. I'm still waiting for the occasional year where Noter Shame takes the ACC playoff spot and a non-P5 conference team is the only undefeated team.

On the rare chances an undefeated team loses their conference championship game, I'm okay with them missing the playoff. The best teams are the ones that finish strong and learn to get better each week.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I believe that it was the first year that the BIG had a conference championship game. MSU beat Wisconsin the last game of the season and then the two teams faced each other in the championship. Wisconsin won on bad officiating.

Comment

So the Big 12 is getting interesting. OU beat Baylor this weekend and plays TCU this week. OSU plays Baylor. If the Oklahoma State loses this weekend or to OU in the Bedlam game , the conference is a mess and might get left out again because everyone would have at least one conference loss . Right now it looks like the PAC 12 is on the outside looking in but if everybody goes in the Big 12 into the last weekend with an L things get silly.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yep it's going to be wild these last few weeks. I think most are assuming that if ND, Alabama, and Clemson all win out, they will be in. That only leaves one spot, and I have to believe that would go to the winner of the B1G Conference Championship game.

Comment

The latest I've seen is if Okie State wins out.. or Oklahoma wins out... either one will beat ND for the final spot (if ND wins out too)... But if Okie loses 1 game (and OK loses another) then ND will get the last spot...

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  So the Big 12 is getting interesting. OU beat Baylor this weekend and plays TCU this week. OSU plays Baylor. If the Oklahoma State loses this weekend or to OU in the Bedlam game , the conference is a mess and might get left out again because everyone would have at least one conference loss . Right now it looks like the PAC 12 is on the outside looking in but if everybody goes in the Big 12 into the last weekend with an L things get silly.
                  Noter Shame and Clemson are spoiling it for the P5. Noter Shame will get in because we all know the CFP selection committee weighs travel and money into their "eye test". I don't have a problem with that on Noter Shame this year because they have played and will continue to play a tough schedule. I do have a problem with Alabama being above an undefeated team from the P5 (O$U, Iowa, Ok. St). In my ideal world noter Shame loses to Standford, Clemson and Iowa lose in conference championship games and tO$U beats Mich State, then loses to Michigan and Houston is the only undefeated team in major college football. It would even be better if no P5 teams has fewer than 2 losses, but I don't see that happening with O$U and Clemson). Here's hoping 'Bama slips again.

No matter what, the whole CFP selection process should be blown up! Chaos is welcome, nothing new under the sun.

Comment

The CFP would be better if SOS metric had a second calculation to include all losses and then the top wins to include only 4-5 teams. you cannot penalize teams for their conference-mates ups and downs, nor does the RPI work in football due to limited number of games. To whom did you lose and what were your best wins, are the two questions to help compare teams to each other.

Comment

Latest CFP Rankings:

1) Clemson
                      2) Alabama
                      3) tOSU
                      4) ND
                      5) Iowa
                      6) Okie State
                      7) Oklahoma

Big 12 not getting a lot of love. Hard to imagine ND being left out if they win out.
                      Let the chaos begin !

Comment

With Oklahoma's lopsided win over Okie State the Sooners should be in the CFP.
                        It will be interesting now to see if some of the Big12 officials who have been on record in favor of expansion start to back peddle now. Remember these aren't the most forward thinking people in the world.
                        Maybe Oklahoma's success will actually help push expansion since OU President David Boren has been one of the few outspoken in favor of expansion. I have my doubts though. We'll see

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                          With Oklahoma's lopsided win over Okie State the Sooners should be in the CFP.
                          It will be interesting now to see if some of the Big12 officials who have been on record in favor of expansion start to back peddle now. Remember these aren't the most forward thinking people in the world.
                          Maybe Oklahoma's success will actually help push expansion since OU President David Boren has been one of the few outspoken in favor of expansion. I have my doubts though. We'll see
                          Let's see if OU get's in after the Championship games this week. I cannot see a two loss team (Standford, ND, or Michigan State) getting in ahead of OU, nor do I see both O$U and the Big Ten Champ getting in along with Clemson/Alabama, but that was a very impressive win for the Luckeyes on the road Saturday. The OU win was equally if not more impressive to me, but we've all seen how the committee seems to be a bit anti-Big 12

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Let's see if OU get's in after the Championship games this week. I cannot see a two loss team (Standford, ND, or Michigan State) getting in ahead of OU, nor do I see both O$U and the Big Ten Champ getting in along with Clemson/Alabama, but that was a very impressive win for the Luckeyes on the road Saturday. The OU win was equally if not more impressive to me, but we've all seen how the committee seems to be a bit anti-Big 12
                            I wonder what happens if UNC takes down Clemson?? They're capable of pulling it off. Does that open the door for Stanford, ND or O$U ?

Comment

Floride could knock off 'Bama too. I also wouldn't discount Mich St getting beat by Iowa. What do you do with a two loss Mich St who beat O$U and Michigan and Oregon? As much as there are complaints about the committee, I don't envy them their duty.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X