Larry Davis retires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Davis retires

Larry has opted to retire today. Not a ton of details other than he felt the time was right.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2018/9/1...etirement.aspx
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I was semi-floored when I heard this. The timing is interesting, but we'll know if HC MC already knew about it by the speed of the replacement.

LD was as good or better a person as he was a coach, and I've always thought highly of him in the coaching realm. His leadership when HC MC was on medical leave was amazing, as was the team's run.

Those who have clamored for a shakeup of the coaching staff will finally get their wish, but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

As a PS, I saw this on the 10 PM Ch. 12 news (on Ch. 64), but I almost missed it. When I tuned in, the "sports" guy was running a segment on Bengals TE Tyler Eifert's mullet; it ran about 2 mins in a 3 minute segment, and the Davis news ran after that as the last item.

Comment

Trouble in Camelot?? Hate to hear this. Wish Larry the best. Good man and a good job. Thanks for all your efforts and loyalty. Anxious to hear "the rest of the story". Too abrupt to be anything other than an issue with Mick.

Comment

Or health, God forbid.

Comment

It's not health. But yeah I thought the timing was weird.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Something is up. I don’t care to speculate. The reason behind his retirement will eventually come to light.

Comment

Remember that Savino was promoted to Associate Head Coach back in April, giving him the same title as Larry. It could be that Larry had been talking about retiring back then. Or maybe Larry was upset about that, but he doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. Or, it could be that at age 62, after 30 years in coaching he decided to that it's time to have a life instead of chasing high school kids around the country. Since a head coach job is unlikely for someone his age, maybe he just said enough is enough. The timing is wierd, but sometimes when you decide enough is enough, it's time to go. Whatever, best of luck to Larry in the next phase of his life.

Comment

Best of luck to Larry. Mick seems very well connected, I'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in.

Comment

Maybe he finally got a chance to realize his dream of being a body double for Michael Rooker (Yondu from Guardiens of the Galaxy). Put their headshots side by side! Good luck to him regardless, he was a good coach.

Comment

All I know is the next coach has to be bald. Must.Have.Continuity
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Any updates on a coaching replacement?
                      Former KMart Ball Boy

"Graduation is the key, period. I am on a mission to stop the exploitive nature of college athletics. We must make sure our kids graduate and have opportunities to have productive and happy lives." -MC

Comment

No and I honestly don't expect any. It's so close to the season start that I think they'll just elevate everyone a notch and redistribute responsibilities.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                          Remember that Savino was promoted to Associate Head Coach back in April, giving him the same title as Larry. It could be that Larry had been talking about retiring back then. Or maybe Larry was upset about that, but he doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. Or, it could be that at age 62, after 30 years in coaching he decided to that it's time to have a life instead of chasing high school kids around the country. Since a head coach job is unlikely for someone his age, maybe he just said enough is enough. The timing is wierd, but sometimes when you decide enough is enough, it's time to go. Whatever, best of luck to Larry in the next phase of his life.
                          Savino should be the only Associate Head Coach. The next hire will likely be low key as they do need to fill out the coaching staff.
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Just throwing this out there but Andre Tate is right down the road at Cincy St. I have no idea if he'd be interested and I'm not sure it would even be a pay raise. He wouldn't even have to give up his years in the state retirement system.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

You also have Tony Stubblefield out at Oregon. I think Mick actually wants him back. Especially now.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X