Kelvin Sampson to Orlando?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelvin Sampson to Orlando?

I'm hearing noise that Kevin Sampson is the prime target for the open Orlando Magic HC job. Could be bad timing for Houston. He's a very good coach and obviously has cheated a fair amount in his career; he belongs in the Pros.

Aren't they supposed to play in a renovated Hoffheinz Arena next year?

Comment

That's the plan. The Hoffheinz name will still be somewhere in their complex, but some "renaming" is going on, too.

Comment

Here's a Houston Chronicle article on the subject:

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...r-12920669.php

Comment

This would be bad for the AAC I dont think a lot of others could do what he's done at Houston. They were a miracle shot away from the Sweet 16 last year. They should be decent next year.

Comment

He belongs in the pros because he’s cheated??? College basketball is the place everyone cheats. I don’t understand that statement.

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
            I'm hearing noise that Kevin Sampson is the prime target for the open Orlando Magic HC job. Could be bad timing for Houston. He's a very good coach and obviously has cheated a fair amount in his career; he belongs in the Pros.
            Coach Cronin get well soon!

Comment

I don't want to put words in Geaux Juan's mouth but seems like Sampson would be better off in the pros career wise at this point if he has an option. Sanctions seem to follow this guy. He's already had a show cause from the NCAA from his time at Oklahoma and IU and if he runs afoul of enforcement again, he's going to get banned anyway.

I have no indication that he's cheating at Houston but if he is, now would be a good time to escape.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                He belongs in the pros because he’s cheated??? College basketball is the place everyone cheats. I don’t understand that statement.
                ​Well, number one, I doubt everyone in college basketball cheats. Although statistically possible, I just doubt it.

​As for Sampson, he has trouble following rules, so I think being in the pros would be better for him. What's the last NBA team that was put on probation? I lump him in with guys like Larry Brown - good coaches but can't follow rules. So take it to the NBA.

Comment

Well this isn't happening. They hired Steve Clifford
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yeah, that hire took a strange road. From Sampson the rumors shifted to Izzo at Michigan State. And then they land on Clifford, who had a 196-214 record in the last five seasons at Charlotte.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out whether Sampson withdrew his name or whether Orlando just flat out picked someone else. Sounds like the latter.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Clifford is an excellent coach and a great hire, MUCH better than Sampson, plus he has a history with Orlando as an assistant.The problem for him or any hire is their roster is awful and their team dysfunctional at this point. No one will be successful there for years and it requires a total rebuild. Clifford inherited a 21 win team in Charlotte and took them to 3 playoffs in 5 years. His last 2 years were disappointing but their roster was subpar, plus he had to tolerate Jordans draft pick meddling which has never been helpfull. Sampson didn't withdraw,he just got beat out.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X