Proposed Rule Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Rule Changes

The NCAA tried out new rule changes in the NIT this year, and it is a good bet that some or all of them will be implemented beginning in the 2019-20 season. The following are the proposed rule changes:
    1. Move the 3-point line back to the FIBA distance, 22 feet 1.75 inches. This change is long overdue. The purpose of the 3-point shot was to reward a shot of extra difficulty, but so many plays are designed now to free up shooters standing on the 3-point line that it has become too easy to make the shot. Moving back is overdue, I'd actually like to see them move it to the NBA line, but that won't happen.
    2. After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds instead of 30. This makes sense since a normal possession allows 10 seconds to cross half-court. On the other hand, teams like most UC squads, that excel on the offensive glass, could be hurt, if ever slightly, by the change. The purpose is obviously to speed up the game and have more possessions, and I'm OK with that.
    3. Widen the lane from 12 feet to 16 feet, same as the NBA. We've seen over the years how congested teams can make the paint, and inside play has suffered. This change should open up scoring underneath, which I think is a good thing. I'm all for it.
    4. Change from two halves to four 10-minute quarters. Teams will be limited to 5 fouls per quarter before the bonus kicks in, and all free throw attempts will be 2-shot. This change I do not like. I have been watching college basketball for a long time, and I have always enjoyed the 20 minute half. I also would not like doing away with the 1-and-1 at the free throw line, which adds so much tension, especially in tight late game situations. I don't know whether this change would result in more or fewer TV timeouts, my guess is you would have a timeout at the 5 minute mark of each quarter, and then much longer breaks between quarters.
    Anyway, I am in favor of all the changes except switching to quarters. Whether this changes coaching strategy or recruiting strategy will be interesting to observe.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 04-06-2018, 05:39 PM.

I'm fine with #1. I think this needs to happen.

I'm kind of indifferent on #2. I think it hurts teams that play slow. It makes sense to me since most shots after an offensive rebound go up pretty quickly unless the rebounding team is trying to drain clock.

#3 I'm ok with . In a way I 'd rather see them go with the FIBA trapezoid lane but if they're going to make a change here it makes more sense to go with the American style lane. One thing to think about here is if the women's game doesn't also adjust the lane to a new width, the floors are going to look horrendous with markings unless you change out the floor between Men's and Women's ball.

on #4, Men's college ball is the only variation of the sport that uses 2 halfs. All the pro leagues that I'm aware of use quarters. High school ball uses quarters. I would prefer halves but it doesn't make sense to keep the halves in the men's college game when no one else plays in that format.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X