DOJ issues Large CBB Corruption Case indictments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOJ issues Large CBB Corruption Case indictments

I want to make it clear that as far as we know at this point UC is not involved in this at all but the impact of this case is going to be felt all through CBB.

US DOJ arrested several assistant basketball coaches from Auburn, USC, Arizona and Oklahoma Sate and two Shoe company execs from Adidas and formerly of Nike in a pretty ugly recruiting kickback scheme at several schools. Not surprisingly, Louisville is involved. The allegations as I understand them is that the shoe company execs were paying players families through hidden structured payments using intermediaries and routing the players to certain schools in their stable of apparel contracts. This happened specifically with Brian Bowen at Louisville apparently. I have not seen any other players names come out so far.

I think for most of us on here this is a big "Duh!" moment. We've always known as fans that this stuff goes on and goes on at certain schools more than others. The fact that the FBI and DOJ got involved before the NCAA did is a bit of a shocker though.

Two things, Pitino should be toast after this. Also one of the assistants is Chuck Person at Auburn. If this happened under Bruce Pearl's nose, Pearl is going to be out and get another show cause from the NCAA. That MIght mean Austin Wiley could be looking for a place to go.

So Hopefully when all this plays out, and it's going to take a while I think for everything to settle, UC should be on the right side of things. This is going to be interesting to watch this unfold. I look at it as a great opportunity to clean up CBB recruiting and the AAU circuits.

Stay tuned.

Here's the link at DOJ for the press release(PDF Download)

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...98746/download

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Wow, just wow!! Is there any reason to believe the DOJ/FBI investigation notified the NCAA ahead of the arrests or is there anything to fear that the NCAA was also on the take?
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Is anyone else mad that all this dirty misconduct was going on at Louisville the same time that the ACC was making their decision between us and them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        This happened specifically with Brian Bowen at Louisville apparently.
        Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing at Adidas, was among those arrested. He's accused of helping funnel approximately $100,000 to the family of an "All-American high school basketball player" to secure the prospect's commitment to a school Adidas sponsors. According to documents, the prospect committed in June. The only "All-American high school basketball player" who committed to a school Adidas sponsors in June is Brian Bowen. He's now enrolled at Louisville.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino was asked about Bowen's commitment in June.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said. "I had an AAU director call me and say, 'Would you be interested in a basketball player?' I said ... 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' But [Bowen and his people] had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotels, pay for their meals. So we spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I've been."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ption-charges/

Comment

I would imagine the audit trail on this will be squeaky clean from a UofL perspective. On he surface, I read this to say Adidas coughed up the $ to funnel him to an Adidas school with the expectation he'll sign a shoe deal with Adidas once he reaches the NBA.

However - to say Ricky P knew nothing about the process or the events...I can't believe that for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
            I would imagine the audit trail on this will be squeaky clean from a UofL perspective. On he surface, I read this to say Adidas coughed up the $ to funnel him to an Adidas school with the expectation he'll sign a shoe deal with Adidas once he reaches the NBA.

However - to say Ricky P knew nothing about the process or the events...I can't believe that for a second.

From the Courier-Journal:

The U.S. attorney's criminal complaint doesn't name any U of L personnel directly. It does, however, note that "others known and unknown, including basketball coaches employed by University-6" participated in the scheme to defraud, by telephone, email, and wire transfers of funds.

It highlights two coaches from "University-6" identified only as "Coach-1" and "Coach-2."

The charges say "Coach-1" is on an FBI video recording inside of a Las Vegas hotel room.

According to the complaint, that person, who is identified as an assistant coach, agreed that University-6 was already on probation with the NCAA. It goes on to say that the assistant coach also agreed that they needed to be particularly careful with how they passed money to "Player-11."

"Coach-1" said, "we gotta be very low key." According to the complaint, "Coach-1" also describes another University-6 coach as so influential "that all (Coach-2 has to do) is pick up the phone and call somebody, (and say) these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

SO: WHO IS COACH 2, WHO IS "SO INFLUENTIAL"???
            Last edited by swilsonsp4; 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM. Reason: Repairing punctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
              I would imagine the audit trail on this will be squeaky clean from a UofL perspective..
              Yeah... I probably typed that too soon. the more I read, the worse this seems to get.

Comment

The NCAA was not aware this was coming and read it when we did. It’s likely that Jurich and Pitino are out. U of L has acknowledged that they are under FBI investigation and there are possibly more announcements coming regarding staff.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Pitino should have been out after the sex act in a restaurant with his assistant's present. I'll be surprised if Pitino is axed. Their program is too important to that city. Can't wait to hear UofL's response.

Comment

Louisville does qualify for the death penalty per NCAA guidelines.

Also it’s coming out the U of Miami paid 150K to adidas to deliver Nassir Little to Miami. Little has not committed yet.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Check @JasonRileyWDRB -- really interesting tweets all day from him, mostly about Louisville.

His most recent: I hear the big news is coming in the morning. And it is Big. News.

Comment

Scary: Mick worked for and learned from Pitino. Who's our shoe/uniform sponsor now?

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
                          Scary: Mick worked for and learned from Pitino. Who's our shoe/uniform sponsor now?
                          Under Armour but that was kind of forced on Mick by Tuberville and Bohn. Speaking of kickbacks, I’d be interested in how much TT got paid for moving 3 schools to UA.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks like the Assistant at Arizona that was arrested was also at X under Sean Miller.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

A few random thoughts...
                              • I believe the FBI has a pretty good track record of convictions. They generally won't move forward until they are sure they can
                              • In order to nab the big guy (Nike? UA?), the FBI sometimes goes after the little guy (Adidas)- then waits for people to start talking to avoid severe penalties. Somewhere, there are some company and university execs shaking in their boots
                              • Is it possible that the ones that come out smelling like roses here are LaVar and Lonzo Ball - for not signing with a shoe company???

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X