NCAA tourney coming to US Bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA tourney coming to US Bank

GoBearcats sent out an announcement that US Bank Arena will host the 2022 1st and 2nd rounds of the men's tournament.

Maybe it'll get renovated by then or someone will buy it off the current owners.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

makes you wonder if there is some agreement to upgrade the arena by then. if so, gotta think UC giving US Bank the cold shoulder may have helped incentivize them a tad. heck, the women's team would have likely played there as well...and volleyball...and intramural broomball

Comment

Nobody is commenting on proposed improvements. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...022/100605412/

Comment

I'm shocked. I would have bet the Shoe had a better shot. Ha.

Comment

I've read the NCAA awarded the 2022 site to US Bank Arena with several contingencies around upgrades. These upgrades did not include demolition and building anew. I'm cautiously optimistic, though have no belief the Bearcats would land at US Bank arena in March.

As a college basketball fan and city/area resident, this is good. I hope that improvements are made to the arena to get it modernized and on a path for drumbeat of sorts to host higher profile events.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

All they need is 200 million. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
              I've read the NCAA awarded the 2022 site to US Bank Arena with several contingencies around upgrades. These upgrades did not include demolition and building anew. I'm cautiously optimistic, though have no belief the Bearcats would land at US Bank arena in March.

As a college basketball fan and city/area resident, this is good. I hope that improvements are made to the arena to get it modernized and on a path for drumbeat of sorts to host higher profile events.
              Because UC will be the host school, they could not play at US Bank Arena in the tourney. XU could.

Comment

Are you sure? I am not doubting you...but my (perhaps flawed?) understanding is that schools are only not allowed to play on their own home courts. Assuming UC might be a top 1-2 seed, I think (?) they would be eligible to play at US Bank arena.

Regardless...if the plan is to go to the taxpayers for the $200-250M in improvements...wouldn't it make more sense to ask the citizens of Lexington to pay for the improvements, since UK will likely be seeded to play there?

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Because UC will be the host school, they could not play at US Bank Arena in the tourney. XU could.
                  I don't believe this is correct. Being the host school doesn't matter as long as the floor is not your home floor. I got that from GoBearcats in the Q+A followup to the announcement. Pretty sure we can play there although I'd think we'd need a good seed to pull it off.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

From the NCAA web site:

A host institution’s team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting. However, the team may play on the same days when the institution is hosting.

Teams may play at a site where the conference of which it is a member is serving as the host.

Comment

Huh, I wonder if UC got some difference guidance from the NCAA there. Obviously both of them can't be right or the rule is going to change by 2022.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Then there's this: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ell/100659616/

I think the likelihood of this event actually is slim to none. Cincinnati taxpayers that I've talked to are in no mood to foot the bill for another stadium.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Then there's this: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ell/100659616/

I think the likelihood of this event actually is slim to none. Cincinnati taxpayers that I've talked to are in no mood to foot the bill for another stadium.

yea - the bengals totally ruined things for other publically-backed stadiums. add to the perspective that the bengals lease is up in 2026. you gotta think you'll start hearing grumblings from the bengals years before that...

Comment

Deadspin picked up this story too http://deadspin.com/this-is-the-sadd...-se-1794500150
                            McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X