Next year expectations, realistic ones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    I predict this becomes Killa's team next year and it will reflect in 23-25 regular season wins, top 3 in BEast, and 4 or higher seed in the Tourney. Once in the Tourney, anything goes....
    Disagree. SK is a good player, and if he develops further he will score 16-20 points a game. That said, the team next year will be Cash's team and they will go as far as he can take them.

Comment

If SK had a better handle on the rock...he could get to 20 pts. He's going to have to work on ball handling or he will be stuck around 15 IMO. I think Parker and Cash both have a chance to score about 15 as well.

I don't see the sense in calling it anyone's team (other than maybe Cronin's)...because...well...it's a team. We will have several guys who can lead in different ways. The 3 guards and JJ will all be in their 3rd or 4th year. Parker leads by showing toughness, JJ because of effort and he's always cheering even when he's on the bench, Cash because he runs point, and SK because he seems fearless and doesn't make excuses. All of those things will tend to rub off on the rest of the team.

If we have to put the team on any players shoulders it's going to be a long year.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
        Expectations for the coming season:
        ....Fans purchase tickets to more games...Attendance needs to continue to rise
        I'd be shocked if that does not happen. The fans are embracing Mick and his style of play. The players returning should all be fast and athletic. UC is going to be a fun team to watch next year.

Comment

Jaquan's team next year... he proved to be the 'Go to' in most of the tough spots the Cats found themselves in late in the season against big opponents. He attacked the basket, hit outside J's and rebounded with the big boys down low. LOVE LOVE LOVE his on court demeanor... reminiscent of some of my all time favorite Bearcats. Cincinnatians love us some hustle...and dude goes 120%

I love Kila and Cash... I love the team we've got coming back next season and any one of them could emerge as "the Leader"... quite honestly I'd love to see them all 3 lead... they seem cohesive enough to not need ONE guy to lean on.

Can't wait to see JD3, Thomas and Ellis add their talents to this mix.

Can anybody link a list of the incoming class? I realize Rubles just signed...who else?

Just watched some highlights of Obepka (sp?) and Devon Scott... impressed and hoping they become BEARCATS.
          Last edited by ucjay99; 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ucjay99 View Post
            Jaquan's team next year... he proved to be the 'Go to' in most of the tough spots the Cats found themselves in late in the season against big opponents. He attacked the basket, hit outside J's and rebounded with the big boys down low. LOVE LOVE LOVE his on court demeanor... reminiscent of some of my all time favorite Bearcats. Cincinnatians love us some hustle...and dude goes 120%

I love Kila and Cash... I love the team we've got coming back next season and any one of them could emerge as "the Leader"... quite honestly I'd love to see them all 3 lead... they seem cohesive enough to not need ONE guy to lean on.

Can't wait to see JD3, Thomas and Ellis add their talents to this mix.

Can anybody link a list of the incoming class? I realize Rubles just signed...who else?

Just watched some highlights of Obepka (sp?) and Devon Scott... impressed and hoping they become BEARCATS.
            I thought Scott committed to Dayton months ago

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyCornHusker View Post
              Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
              Expectations for the coming season:
              • Fans purchase tickets to more games...Attendance needs to continue to rise
              I'd be shocked if that does not happen. The fans are embracing Mick and his style of play. The players returning should all be fast and athletic. UC is going to be a fun team to watch next year.
              I'll add that I expect the fanbase to pony up some cash and increase their contributions to the athletic department. I can't think of a university sports program that has done more with less than UC has done in the last five year. If we're ever going to get over the hump and compete with the big boys the fans must step up and put their money where their mouth is. I hear a lot of people complain about Cincinnati sports - this is not directed at anyone here specifically - but I don't see many people actively trying to do something about changing whatever it is that upsets them.

Particularly with respect to Mick et al I think we're seeing a good return on our dollar and we're getting good entertainment value from the basketball program. If they've ever shown they deserve our support the last couple seasons were it. Time for us to chip in a little extra and rally any other fans we may know as well.
              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by ucjay99 View Post

Rubles is the incoming class at the moment unless you count the 2 redshirts/ partial qualifiers Thomas and Ellis. One scholarship left for Obepka?

Comment

I presume I'm way early on this, but when will the schedule for next year come out?
                  If you listen to people in the stands, youíll be sitting there with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ucfan34 View Post
                    I presume I'm way early on this, but when will the schedule for next year come out?
                    If the past is any indicator it will come out anywhere from early September to the last day of August like it did last year. Typically it's the second or third week of September though.
                    Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

Okay, I see. Thanks.
                      If you listen to people in the stands, youíll be sitting there with them.

Comment

Don't know if I should have started a new thread for this....looks like we're #26 in this (way too early) 2012-2013 poll:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...moving-2012-13

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                          Don't know if I should have started a new thread for this....looks like we're #26 in this (way too early) 2012-2013 poll:

I love it - once again, Mick can use the lack of respect to drive the effort.

Key to next year - fast start - no more losses to AA's

Comment

Expectations - Top 8 finish in the BE. The BE is getting better from the bottom up. There are very few bottom feeders anymore in this league. SF and RU are going to be trying to do what we did last year. I would expect a tourney appearance. The lose of Gates is huge from a rebounding perspective. Without him, we will get killed on the boards. If our guards shoot over 30% from 3 we will have a great year. We need SK and Cash to become more consistent from the 3. Ellis and Gaines are going to be guys like JJ - not Yancy, which is fine, but it's a huge weakness.

If we can find an inside presence and learn to run a fast break properly, we actually will be very good. This team reminds me a lot of the Nova teams that ran 4 guards and could be beat you inside and out.

The tourney is a given - how far, who knows - it comes down to who we draw. Any team in the tournament can be beaten. Show me the defense that we used for the 2nd half of the season and I'll take the results (W/L's).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post

Seems Katz has a hard on for the Big Ten with 5 teams out of 12 ranked in the top-25 and four of them in the top 10. Although glad to see Indiana getting some love. If there's a team out there that I pull for other than UC it's the Hoosiers.

Interesting to see Sean Miller placing the Arizona Wildcats back in the national conversation. My understanding is he has done well in the recruiting department. Perhaps next season is when we see the fruits of his labor.

In closing, I wouldn't put too much credence in this list. Katz weighted this list based heavily on who is returning for which team (aka: who he saw on ESPN Sportscenter the last 5 months). Outside of Kansas and Kentucky it doesn't appear Katz has researched the incoming talent whether it be a bench player this past season or a freshman phenom that is fresh out of HS. I'd expect the rankings after the first month to look entirely different than this list looks now, not just in order but also in composition.
                              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

ESPN's Medcalf Noteworthy NCAA performances...

Cincinnatiís Sean Kilpatrick, a 6-4 guard, scored just eight points in his teamís second-round win over Texas. But when the lights came on in the later rounds, Kilpatrick showed off his star power. He had 18 points against Florida State in the third round. And he finished with 15 against Ohio State in the Sweet 16.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation
                                Cory Huffman
                                Cin City

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X