Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant killers / Safest Giants

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...nerable-upsets

Need an insider membership to read, but bottom line, had Cincy as 1 of the 6 teams mentioned as "Safest Giants".

Interesting read.

Originally posted by cincycpaw View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...nerable-upsets

Need an insider membership to read, but bottom line, had Cincy as 1 of the 6 teams mentioned as "Safest Giants".

Interesting read.
    Can you elaborate more? I couldn't read any of it and I don't understand what any of this means.
    Oscar Robertson seems like a nice guy.

Comment

They talk about teams that are in the tournament most susceptible to being upset. Like Gonzaga relies on the free throw line way too much for scoring, Florida State turns the ball over way too much, Memphis struggles to get offensive rebounds, etc. They came up with a vulnerability rating which appears to look at turnovers, steals, rebounding, etc.

Vulnerability Rating of 2 or less are Syracuse, North Carolina, Ohio State, Purdue, Cincinnati and Kentucky.
      -------------------
      Writer - FantasySharks.com

Comment

The whole article is premature, it basically lists ten giants Gonzaga, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Memphis, etc. most likely to be knocked off on the NCAA Tournament. Giants are defined as either being from one of the six BCS powers or teams frequently in the tournament (Gonzaga, Temple, Memphis, etc.).

A giant killer is defined as a team seeded five spots (or more) lower that could knock off a giant.

The Bearcats were listed among the safest giants, along with Kentucky, OSU, Purdue, Syracuse and North Carolina.

Having U.C. in there is probably a safe statement as it would be my guess we need to do extremely well (e.g. win it all) in the Big East Tournament to get a seed much higher than seven.

GO CATS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg View Post
          They talk about teams that are in the tournament most susceptible to being upset. Like Gonzaga relies on the free throw line way too much for scoring, Florida State turns the ball over way too much, Memphis struggles to get offensive rebounds, etc. They came up with a vulnerability rating which appears to look at turnovers, steals, rebounding, etc.

Vulnerability Rating of 2 or less are Syracuse, North Carolina, Ohio State, Purdue, Cincinnati and Kentucky.
          I like being mentioned in the same sentence as all of those teams.
          Oscar Robertson seems like a nice guy.

Comment

But, in most projections, specifically espn.com and si.com, we are considered to be a No. 9 seed, playing No. 8 seeded Kansas State (which is ironically one of the "unsafe" Giants that were mentioned). So, if that projection holds true (probably won't, when all is said and done), how can we on the one hand be a "giant", while on the other hand be the team that will presumably upset a giant? Because if we are projected by Lunardi at ESPN to play KSU, and KSU is considered an "unsafe Giant", then that would mean that we are destined to defeat and upset KSU. However, by the same token, we are considered a Goliath by whichever rubric our friends at the "Worldwide Leader" are using. In being projected to occupy the bottom half of the bracket, we should be considered a "David", not a "Goliath". ESPN has us as both, in effect.
            Still, it's nice to see that our oft-derided team is getting some recognition this time of year.

Oh, and I STILL need a ticket. But, prices are coming down. Come gametime, I'm sure I'll be in the building, and at a fair price.

Comment

Interesting considering the Presbyterian outcome!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X