2012 NY PF Chris Obekpa (offer)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rock View Post
    I don't feel good--taking way too long for me to feel good--recruiting is a heck of a way to make a living--go get 'em Mick!
    Key point to consider - We are an Addidas school and he is at a Nike (high)school right now. The main competition with us for his services are all Nike schools. This weekend he played in Vegas on the New Heights AAU team which is sponsored by Addidas and Mick was the only head coach there to watch because Obekpa made a "last" minute decision to play for the Addidas AAU team. How did Mick get this info in time to go see him when other coaches did not? and Why did he switch to play for an Addidas team now?
    He could ultimately decide against coming here but there are a lot more signs out there right now that point towards him becoming a Bearcat than not...

Comment

• Chad Brendel: Chris Obekpa will not visit Oregon as originally planned tomorrow. The Ducks are no longer in the running.

PF Orlando Sanchez just committed to Saint John's, per a number of people. Last year UC took Cheikh and then God's Gift landed at SJU. I'd have to imagine this couldn't hurt UC, seeing that Obekpa has been a big Red Storm target and they got Sanchez (UC has also recruited Sanchez a bit, for what it's worth).
      Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
        Chad Brendel: Chris Obekpa will not visit Oregon as originally planned tomorrow. The Ducks are no longer in the running.
        That's encouraging. Now UC has one less suitor to fend off. I hope no other school is getitng involved late. Let's hope he has decided UC is the place for him.

Comment

• Adam Zagoria: I'm told Chris Obekpa is rescheduling his visit to Oregon, but is not cancelling it.

Comment

Adam Zagoria: I'm told Chris Obekpa is rescheduling his visit to Oregon, but is not cancelling it.
            And just when I was starting to feel better about him becoming a cat. Still gotta feeling we are in the lead though.

Comment

• Here's some stuff from CBS's Jon Rothstein that my buddy Jeff sent me:

Some guy that covers hoops for CBS named John Rothstein seems to be big on UC basketball in general – he was hyping Mick as a Coach of the Year candidate, hyping UC as an underrated team all year, hyping UC as an underrated team for 2012-13. So I don’t know if he is originally from Cincy or something..but he generally has a high regard for UC and Cronin. Some guy on Twitter asked him this weekend, “is Obekpa a lock for Cincy?” and he replied, “All signs pointing that way”……but like I said, no verbal, no written so I’ll believe it when I see it.

Here’s something from “The Rothstein Files” written April 11:

- Look for Mick Cronin and Cincinnati to get back to playing 10-11 guys next year in their rotation. Despite reaching the Sweet 16 during the past season, Cronin shortened his rotation and never was able to press the way he did two years ago or when he coached at Murray State. Look for next year’s squad to feature more depth highlighted by two players who red shirted this past season in forwards Shaquille Thomas and Octavious Ellis.
              - We’re hearing that Cincinnati has emerged as the favorite for Our Savior New American big man Chris Obekpa. The 6-foot-9 shot blocking machine is also considering St. John’s and Oregon. Many scouts have compared Obekpa to NBA star Tyrus Thomas. The 2012 center would likely start immediately for the Bearcats next season in place of the graduated Yancy Gates.
              "Mitchell for 3.. and it's a NINETEEN point lead for Cincinnati... Uh oh, you see Mike, the eyes are spinning.." (Final score UC 77, Duke 75)

Comment

• Originally posted by BasketBySteveLogan View Post
                Here's some stuff from CBS's Jon Rothstein that my buddy Jeff sent me:

Some guy that covers hoops for CBS named John Rothstein seems to be big on UC basketball in general – he was hyping Mick as a Coach of the Year candidate, hyping UC as an underrated team all year, hyping UC as an underrated team for 2012-13. So I don’t know if he is originally from Cincy or something..but he generally has a high regard for UC and Cronin. Some guy on Twitter asked him this weekend, “is Obekpa a lock for Cincy?” and he replied, “All signs pointing that way”……but like I said, no verbal, no written so I’ll believe it when I see it.[/I]
                FWIW I started following Josh Rothstein on twitter a little while back because I saw a few different re-tweets of his love for UC. After following him, I get the sense he is just an all around positive guy it what he reports and seems to have no biases towards one conference or another. He pumps out a lot of info on teams across the country. Good insight on recruiting too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it seem like he loves a lot of teams and that 50 teams will be awesome next year and will all compete for a National Championship. Sort of like the anti-Doug Gottlieb,

Comment

• Cincinnati
                  The Bearcats would like to add at least one more player to their 2012 class, and if Mick Cronin's actions are any indication, that player could be Christopher Obekpa. Cronin attended every game the 6-foot-9 big man played in Las Vegas over the weekend. Out of Centereach, N.Y., Obekpa seems to be down to Cincinnati and St. John's.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1tB404Pcu
                  "Mitchell for 3.. and it's a NINETEEN point lead for Cincinnati... Uh oh, you see Mike, the eyes are spinning.." (Final score UC 77, Duke 75)

Comment

• Just decide already, man....

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/29/o...-oregon-visit/

Comment

Seriously, make up your mind! I wish we had another recruit that was similar but rated somewhat lower, I would go ahead and offer that guy the scholarship. The longer this goes on the more concerned I am about the player being committed to the team, and staying beyond year one. I know it's a tough decision, I get it, but at somepoint you have to go one way or the other.

Comment

• Relax everybody. We all want him here but bashing the kid for not making a decision yet is a mistake. Some of us remember how bashing Mick killed us in recruiting players like Marquis Teague and Kemba Walker who were really close to signing. Now that bashing Mick is no longer an option that is taken seriously let's not start bashing the players because they are taking their time to make the best decision FOR THEM.
                        Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

• He's wanted to make the announcement on May 7 (his mom's birthday) from day 1. That has never changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatdoggie View Post
                            Seriously, make up your mind! I wish we had another recruit that was similar but rated somewhat lower, I would go ahead and offer that guy the scholarship. The longer this goes on the more concerned I am about the player being committed to the team, and staying beyond year one. I know it's a tough decision, I get it, but at somepoint you have to go one way or the other.
                            Its a little annoying but in the end I would rather him take his time making a decision that he really wants to be here rather than making a quick decision and deciding to transfer mid year.

Comment

• Yeah, no need to grow impatient. I actually feel the opposite about his wait--the longer he's waited, the better it appears for us because of what the competition has been doing. It's seemingly becoming more and more clear that St. John's thinks they're out (down to one scholarship now and appear to be focusing on Chandler and Nolan--also, haven't seen their name mentioned much, if at all, over the past few weeks in terms of being at his games, like Mick has). I take that as a good sign, as it was thought, for some time now, that it would come down to us and them. That's not to discount them, just saying that I feel good about their recent trend possibly helping us with Obekpa. Oregon is interesting, as there appears to be conflicting reports, as mentioned in this thread. I guess we'll find out who's right between Chad Brendel and Adam Zagoria this week. Still, at this point in time, I would be surprised if Obekpa wasn't a Bearcat.

Comment

• Originally posted by OCASCM07 View Post
                                Relax everybody. We all want him here but bashing the kid for not making a decision yet is a mistake. Some of us remember how bashing Mick killed us in recruiting players like Marquis Teague and Kemba Walker who were really close to signing. Now that bashing Mick is no longer an option that is taken seriously let's not start bashing the players because they are taking their time to make the best decision FOR THEM.
                                Bash is a strong word. Two people being impatient and wanting him to make a decision (because no one else is contributing to off-season basketball chatter) is not bashing. This is like when I do a fantasy baseball draft and use my full 90 seconds on a pick and other people are saying (60 seconds in), "Come on, pick already!"

Marquis Teague just won a national championship and is a first round draft pick. I highly doubt some bashing on this forum drove him to play for Calipari and UK and not for UC. I bet he was thinking, "Gee, I really want to go to UC but a few fans on their message board are bashing Mick. I guess I'll resort to my back up plan and follow in the footsteps of Rose, Evans, Wall and Knight."

So maybe you guys need to relax. We are all anxiously waiting and know the decision will come when it comes. No one is being irrational, just posting message board-like commentary on a ... wait for it... message board.

Go Bearcats!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X